In 2006, under the leadership of then NCI Director Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach, a comprehensive strategic plan was
developed for advancing cancer research progress. Today, the underlying content of this document still reflects
overall themes of NCIís work, in partnership with a wide range of agencies and organizations.
- Understand the causes and mechanisms of cancer
- Accelerate progress in cancer prevention
- Improve early detection and diagnosis
- Develop effective and efficient treatments
- Understand the factors that influence cancer outcomes
- Improve the quality of cancer care
- Improve the quality of life for cancer patients, survivors, and their families
- Overcome cancer health disparities
Download Document [PDF - 4,571 KB]
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this document.
Order Free Copy
To learn more about NCI's annual plan and budget proposal for moving the field of cancer research
and development forward, please refer to The Nation's Investment
in Cancer Research.